Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

This week: In Diana's head

ist1_6135370-heart-in-the-brain Why can't we....

  1. have more faith in ourselves?
  2. believe in the good before the bad?
  3. smile a little more?
  4. help a person who needs it without expecting something in return?
  5. accept that life won't always have the answers? Neither will we.
  6. treat each other with a little more respect?
  7. respect any writer's success, no matter what the format, or area?
  8. listen with an open mind?

I know. I'm feeling philosophical today. Actually, I've felt this way for almost a week. I've had some crazy ups and downs the last few days. Being pushed, shoved, pulled in all kinds of directions.

This is one of those times when I wish I hadn't started publishing my work. Oh, don't get me wrong. I highly enjoy writing. I hate the drama of publishing. It's suppose to be a business. I understand business. I don't always understand publishing.

Why?

Because no two houses treats it, or does business, the same way.

It goes like this. You walk into Target, you know what you're getting. Clothes, the little food bar on the side (in most cases), a jewelry stop. It's organized. Then you walk out and go Wal-Mart. Same idea. You know that they both have shipping and receiving, packaging, Human Resources, Managers et al.

Publishing?

Hardly. In most cases, you have one person who wears many, many hats, or in the larger houses, several people per division. Neither model promises you a safe, I'm not even talking prosperous, situation. I hate that so many people in this industry lie, bully, cheat their way through it. That's not a business, it's who can be the biggest B!tch in the schoolyard.

Yeah, I guess I sound jaded. I think I've earned that particular color of green myself, and it isn't green with envy, believe me. It almost, almost, makes me fear what will happen if I should happen to get New York. If people think epublishing is a joke, not a "real" publishing credit/book/whatever, I say let them try it. See who comes out on the other end in one piece and still writing.

People drop off every year because of the "business" of this industry. So my philosophy?

 

 

Try and make me quit. Whatever this "business" throws at me will make New York look like a walk in the park when I get there.

1 comment:

Marianne Arkins said...

Awww.... hon....

I've been so fortunate -- nothing but good experiences with my two publishers. Thank heavens.

(((hugs)))