Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

This Week: In Diana's Head

diana's head This is something that has bothered me for over a year, almost since I first moved into the house where we are currently living. Picture a very friendly, your neighbors actually talk to you, kind of small Texas town. I live on a side street of an older, well established subdivision. My street is also the only cross-street for over five blocks of suburban free-for-all driving with a stop sign to slow down traffic between the subdivision entrance and the next subdivion. There is over a mile of road between that entrance, and the next subdivsion.

Everyone knows (or should) that in a subdivision the MAX speed limit is 30 on a wide lane, improved through road.

Apparently upon turning into our subdivsion that law ceases to exist.

Thus the introduction of the stop sign. That people BLATANTLY ignore on a regular basis. People run this stop sign regularly. There are kids in residence on all sides of this intersection. Do the drivers care? Hold on. It gets better.

Kids walk along the side of the road because there is only one side of sidewalk along much of this main street. The planners faced the divsion inward, which is normal, but they didn't develop the entirety of the P.U.E. (Public Utility Easement) There's a LOT of kids, many under the age of twelve. Is that your kid walking to school while you're talking on the phone, going forty-five, and oops! You just ran that darned stop sign. *smack* Wake up people!

Today, I was on my way to the post office and I am not kidding, a van ran the stop sign right in front of me. There is no excuse for this. NONE. It is poor driving, expecting the other vehicle to get the hell out of your way so you can break the law.  I can't even swear that they bothered to look to see IF there was traffic. They sure didn't slow down any to find out.

Yeah, let me point something out here, why don't I?

THERE'S A FLIPPING STOP SIGN THERE! It is NOT decoration.

I watch vehicles DAILY run the stop sign at my cross-street with the main street. Sometimes they even deign to tap their brakes. OMG! Really, a brake tap? Since when does S T O P mean Slow Tires On Pavement and then cruise on through?

STOP means stop, people. If you don't know that, then go back to school. Add a driving course to it while you're at it.

 

Stop banner

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd be happy if drivers could be bothered to simply stop at red lights. I can't count how many times I'm at an intersection when the light turns green and some bozo is still barreling through the intersection blatantly running a red.

Diana Castilleja said...

That's a rant for another day.