Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

This Week: In Diana's Head

diana's head Frustration. I've found a book that seems to incapsulate it. This is the first book I've read by this author, and I'm not sure I'm going to be back for more. Depends on how well they wrap up the ending.

I guess I like simplistic romance.

In this story, there is the Hero and Heroine. Standard fare. Except I'm not crazy about the opening premise of this book. He's a brute who's having to change his ways. I can see him doing it but good grief! The only thing on this man's mind since the opening page has been sex, and how to get the Heroine to give it to him. And he's not shy about telling everyone on the planet that's what he wants, that she's going to do it whether she wants to or not, on his terms and she can just deal with it, and he's told her so! She's not exactly crazy about this part of him. Can't say I blame her. Feel like meat lately?

Then you have Hero wannabe. The man on the sidelines who thinks he's the one who's going to get said heroine and has been building up his end to be with her. Oh, but he plans on keeping his mistresses, of course, even after marriage. He doesn't have a clue she's already with Hero #1. Confused yet? It gets better.

There's no less than six different sub characters with their own points of view and dialogues, all with conniving chunks of sub-plot. It's been hard to keep them all straight.

I've been reading it basically a scene at a time because I have to digest what's going on. This hasn't been a book I can fall into and become oblivious to the outside world. It's not couple-centric. (Is that a term? If not, I claim it! LOL)

I will say this. The author took immense time to plot this book. There's so many twists that I literally want to see the people who deserve it (I'm not saying who and give away the ending), get their butts returned to them on a platter. There's no way this book could have been done otherwise, with the exception that each individual POV was written out and then put together in the manner of an index card at a time on a tackboard. There's definite talent in being able to do that. I can't. I know that. But there's so much going on with this book! Where's the romance? Where's the romantic feeling? Right now the only thing I feel impending is the satisfaction of justice.

No comments: